Headaches in Children
Some of the many potential headache triggers include:
- certain medications (headaches are a potential side effect of some)
- too little sleep or sudden changes in sleep patterns
- Depending on their age, children need 10-11 hours of sleep every night. Make sure they are going to bed early enough to get the sleep that they need.
- skipping meals
- Be sure they are eating enough protein and vegetables every 2-4 hours
- becoming dehydrated
Add soups and herbal teas to their diet
- being under a lot of stress
Check in with how they are feeling, notice if they are worried or anxious about anything
- having a minor head injury
Have they had an accident recently?
- using the computer or watching TV for a long time
- Make sure that your child plays outside every day. Limit screen time.
This includes TV, computor, phone or any kind of electrical device.
- vision problems
Be sure to have your child's vision checked by a professional
experiencing changes in hormone levels
- taking a long trip in a car or bus
- listening to really loud music
smelling strong odors such as perfume, smoke, fumes, or a new car or carpet
- Have you purchased anything new that your child may be reacting to?
- drinking or eating too much caffeine (In soda, coffee, tea, and chocolate)
- consuming foods with MSG (such as alcohol, cheese, nuts, pizza, chocolate, ice cream, fatty or fried food, lunchmeats, hot dogs, yogurt, aspartame, or anything with the food additive MSG)
**Be sure to give your child fresh fruits and vegetables at least 3x/day**
For questions, contact Dr. Sally Sherriff, Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
320 River Street, Santa Cruz, California (831) 295-6327.
Information found on healthydragonkids.com is not intended as a substitute for medical or pediatric advice or diagnosis or to endorse specific treatments or products in anyway. The information provided on healthydragonkids.com is for educational purposes only. This website does not offer medical advice or diagnosis, instead, recommends that you always consult directly with a suitably qualified professional with regards to specific issues you or your child may have.
Holistic Medicine for kids, Natural medicine for children, Holistic pediatrics, herbs for kids.